Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) is an Internet standard used to transmit email across IP networks. Your printer uses SMTP to transmit scanned images, Internet fax jobs, and alerts through email.
Pre-requisites – Information required to be successful
- An existing email account (This can be a local server or other major service provider.)
- Connection information for your email service provider (i.e. Address for server, port number)
- Login information for the email account (Username or email address and password)
- Security requirements (i.e Does the service require a secure connection like TLS)
Print a Configuration Report
Print a Configuration Report to get the IPv4 Address of the device. The Configuration Report lists MFP information such as default settings, installed options, network settings including IP address, and font settings.
For details, refer to Print a Configuration Report.
Configure the Primary Network (if using the optional Wi-Fi adapter)
The primary network can be set from the control panel of the device.
Note: Set up for Primary Network is only required if WiFi is installed and enabled. Without WiFi, the Primary Network is set to Ethernet, in which case you can proceed to the next section to configure SMTP Server settings.
- At the printer control panel, press the Home button and log in as administrator. For details, refer to Log in at the Printer's Control Panel as a System Administrator.
- Touch Device > Connectivity.
- Touch Primary Network and select the appropriate network type for how the printer is connected. If the printer is connected with an Ethernet cable, select Ethernet. If the optional Wireless Network Adapter is installed and connected to a wireless network, then select Wi-Fi.
- If you made a change to the primary network settings you will be prompted to restart. Touch Restart Now.
IMPORTANT: The printer must be restarted for the new setting to take effect.
Configure SMTP Server Settings
For details, refer to Configure SMTP Server Settings Using the Embedded Web Server.
Test Scanning Setup
Verify that the settings for scan to email are correct by performing a test scan at the device.
- Load the original face-down on the document glass or face-up in the document feeder.
- Press the Home button on the control panel, and touch Email.
- Type an email address in the To field or select a name in the address book list.
- Select Send in the upper right corner.
- Press the Home button to return to the Home screen. Your scanned image should be in your email client on your computer.