The system administrator can set Trays 1–4 to Fully Adjustable mode or Dedicated mode. Each time a tray is opened and closed, the paper settings appear on the control panel.
- When trays are configured as Fully Adjustable, you can confirm or change the media settings. The tray guides automatically detect the size of paper that is loaded.
- When trays are configured as Dedicated, the control panel displays the media settings for the tray. A warning message appears on the control panel when the wrong media is loaded, or when the tray guides are set incorrectly.
Note: Only the system administrator can change the media settings for a Dedicated tray.
When the paper in the tray is in short supply, or when a tray is empty, a warning message appears on the control panel.
To load paper in Trays 1–4:
- Pull out the tray until it stops.
- Remove any paper that is a different size or type.
- To move out the length or width paper guides, pinch the guide locks, then slide out the length or width paper guides.
- Flex the sheets back and forth and fan them, then align the edges of the stack on a level surface. This procedure separates any sheets that are stuck together and reduces the possibility of jams.
Note: To avoid jams and misfeeds, do not remove paper from its packaging until you are ready to use it.
- Load paper in the tray. Do one of the following:
- For long-edge feed:
- Insert letterhead and pre-printed paper face down and top edge facing front.
- Load hole-punched paper with the holes to the left.
- For short-edge feed:
- Insert letterhead and pre-printed paper face down and top edge facing left.
- Load hole punched paper with the holes toward the front of the printer.
Note: Do not load paper above the maximum fill line. Overfilling the tray can cause paper jams.
- For long-edge feed:
- To adjust the length and width guides to fit the paper, pinch the guide locks, then slide the paper guides in until they touch the paper.
- Slide the tray back into the printer.
- To change the settings to match the paper loaded in the tray, at the control panel, select the correct options for paper size, type, and color.
- To confirm the settings, touch OK.