WARNING: It is highly recommended to consult with your Network or System Administrator before performing any software (firmware) update. Some updates may cause the machine to become non-compliant and cease to work as intended with the environment in which it is installed.
Software (Firmware) Updates
Xerox is continually seeking to improve its products. A software revision may become available to improve the functionality of your printer. The Software Upgrade feature allows the customer to upgrade the printer software without needing a Customer Service Representative to be present.
- The software can be upgraded over a network connection using Xerox CentreWare Internet Services.
- This procedure will prevent further jobs from being received until the upgrade has completed.
- All configured network settings and installed options will be retained by the printer after the software upgrade process.
Before starting please ensure that the following tasks have been performed:
- Any jobs in the printer queue must be allowed to complete or be deleted before initiating a software upgrade.
- Obtain the new software upgrade file for your printer from www.xerox.com. Select the correct upgrade file for your printer model. The upgrade file will have an extension of .hd. Download the upgrade file to a local or network drive. You will be able to delete the file after the upgrade procedure.
- TCP/IP and HTTP protocols must be enabled on the printer so that the printer web browser can be accessed.
Updating the Software / Firmware Using CentreWare Internet Services (CWIS)
Note: The images in this procedure are for demonstration purposes only and may not specifically match your printer model; differences in colors, icons, available tabs/menus and supported options/settings may exist.
Note: If you are accessing Xerox CentreWare Internet Services for the first time after printer installation, you will be prompted to change the default Administrator Account password. The initial default password is the printer serial number. For additional information on how to change the default Administrator password, refer to Change the System Administrator Password for CentreWare Internet Services (CWIS)..
- From a computer (on the same network as the printer) open a Web browser.
- In the Web browser address field, enter the IP address of the printer and then press Enter or Return. The CWIS home page will be displayed.
- Click Properties.
Note: Many features in CWIS require an administrator user name and password to access or modify. If prompted to enter Administrator Account login details:
- For User Name, enter Admin.
- For Password, enter the administrator account password that was set during initial access to CWIS.
- Click OK.
- Click on Maintenance on the left side of the page to expand the list of options.
- Click on Upgrade Management.
- Next to Upgrades, select the Enabled check box.
- Click on Firmware Upgrade on the left side of the page.
- Select Browse or Choose File. Locate and select the software upgrade .hd file obtained earlier, then select Open.
- Click on the Install Software button. The firmware will now be verified and display information about processing the upgrade file.
- Select OK.
The upgrade should take less than 10 minutes unless there are network issues.
Once the printer has completed the upgrade it will reboot automatically. The configuration report will print (if enabled). Check the configuration report to verify that the software level has changed.