A proxy server acts as a go-between for clients that seek services and the servers that provide the services. The proxy server filters client requests and if the requests meet the proxy server filtering rules, the proxy server grants the request and allows the connection.
A proxy server has two main purposes:
- To keep any devices behind it anonymous for security purposes.
- To cache content from resources, such as Web pages from a Web server, to increase resource access time.
Proxy server settings apply to features that use HTTP or HTTPS. For some features, you can configure login credentials to enable communication between the client and the proxy server.
The following features use proxy server settings:
- Remote Services
- Workflow Scanning
- Configuring Workflow Pool Repository Settings
- Configuring Extensible Services
- Not all printer models support all features that use the proxy server.
- Workflow pool repositories and Extensible Services do not support proxy authentication.
Configure the Proxy Server
If you are using proxy authentication, ensure that you have created a user account and password for the device to use to access the proxy server. Note the user name and password.
- Login as Administrator at the Embedded Web Server (EWS). For additional information, click on Access and Login or Logout as System Administrator at the Control Panel or Embedded Web Server (EWS).
- In the Embedded Web Server, click Properties→Connectivity→Setup.
- In the Protocol area, for Proxy Server, click Edit.
- For HTTP Proxy Server, select Enabled.
- Select the HTTP Proxy Server address type. The options are IPv4 Address, IPv6 Address, or Host Name.
- Type the appropriately formatted proxy server address and port number.
- If your proxy server requires a password:
- Select Proxy server requires password.
- Type the proxy server login name and password.
Note: Use the login credentials that are configured on the proxy server for the device.
- Click Save.
- Logout as Administrator at the EWS.
Note: Not all printer models support all features that use the proxy server.